Succeeding in College
What does it take to be a successful college student? What do you need to know in order to get the most out of your college experience and be successful. The following are good tips to follow to be an excellent college student:
- Attend class – It sounds easy enough. Just by going to class you can get the information you need for tests and quizzes. Many instructors have an attendance policy. Follow it, otherwise you could face the risk of failing.
- Get to know your instructors – Your instructors are your greatest resource. Use them, talk to them, ask for help. Your instructors have office hours for the sole purpose of assisting students outside of the classroom. Go see them during their office hours or schedule an appointment with them. They can give you great insight and tend to help those who come and seek out for help.
- Do your class work – This is not high school where you may have gotten away with not doing your homework or studying. Doing your class work will help you earn good grades and at the same time help you understand the material.
- Get help early – If you find yourself falling behind, get help fast. Don’t wait until it is too late. EKU offers a variety of services to help.
- Know the rules of the game – Be aware of the universities policies and procedures. What you don’t know CAN harm you! The Undergraduate Catalog is your primary reference for these policies, use it! If you have questions talk to your advisor.
- Have a plan – Use DegreeWorks to create your academic roadmap. The academic program pages are a good reference to help build your academic career semester by semester all the way up to graduation.
- Get the most out of your college experience – Take full advantage of all the resources EKU has to offer; such as Study Abroad, Honors, Coop, Student Life, Campus Rec, and much more!
- Meet with your academic advisor – Your advisor can help guide you through your EKU experience.